The Bermuda Islands are located off the east coast of the United States
and consist of 138 islands, with a total area of 20.6 square miles.
Situated 1,100 miles northeast of Miami, Florida, the nearest landmass,
Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, is 640 miles west-northwest. Most of
Bermuda's islands cover just over 2 square miles. It is the oldest
and most populous remaining British overseas territory, settled by
England a century before the Acts of Union that created the Kingdom
of Great Britain.
Bermuda has a sub-tropical climate, pink beaches, and cerulean blue
oceans. The climate is humid and, as a result, the summertime heat
index can be high. Winters are mild, although the occasional Atlantic
winter storms can produce powerful winds and heavy rain. The only
source of fresh water in Bermuda is rainfall, which is collected
on roofs and catchments and stored in tanks. Each dwelling usually
has at least one of these tanks forming part of its foundation.
Tourism is Bermuda's second largest industry, with the island attracting
over one-half million visitors annually. Tourists arrive either
by cruise ship or by air at Bermuda International Airport, the only
airport on the island, located on St. David's Island and Cooper's
Island. It is not possible to rent a car on the island, however
visitors can hire scooters for use as private transport, or use
To contact us CLICK
Renowned for its pink sand beaches and natural beauty, Bermuda offers
a number of attractions. Historic St. Georges is a designated World
Heritage Site. Scuba divers can explore numerous wrecks and coral
reefs in relatively shallow water with virtually unlimited visibility.
Many nearby reefs are readily accessible from shore by snorkelers,
especially at Church Bay. Bermuda's most popular visitor attraction
is the Royal Navy Dockyard and Museum. Other attractions include
the Aquarium and Zoo, Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute,
the Botanical Gardens, lighthouses, and the Crystal Caves with its
impressive stalactites and underground saltwater pools.
of St. George’s
The town of St. George's is located on the island and within the
parish of the same names. It was the first permanent settlement
on the islands of Bermuda, and is today the oldest continuously
inhabited English settlement in the Americas. St. George's remains
untouched by economic boom and most of its buildings were constructed
in the 17th to 19th centuries. Power and telephone lines are underground
and the street lighting has a period style to hide any signs of
changes in a deliberate effort to remain just as they were centuries
ago. St. George's is a living town despite its historic buildings
and many function as houses, restaurants, pubs and shops.
City of Hamilton
The city of Hamilton is the capital of Bermuda. In spite of being
the administrative capital of Bermuda, Hamilton only has a permanent
population of approximately 969. Today, the city overlooking Hamilton
Harbour is primarily a business district, with office buildings
Devonshire Parish is named for William Cavendish, 1st Earl of Devonshire.
It is located in the centre of the territory, close to the junction
between the main part of the main island and the peninsula containing
the capital, Hamilton, and Pembroke Parish. Places to visit include
Devonshire Bay and Devonshire Dock, Fort Langton and Fort Devonshire,
as well as the Bermuda National Stadium.
Hamilton Parish is located in the northwest of the island chain,
and is split in two by the large Harrington Sound, occupying all
but the south and northeastern tip of its coast. It is joined to
Smith's Parish in the south, and St. George's Parish in the northeast.
Places to visit are Flatt's Inlet, Trunk Island, Shelly Bay, Bailey's
Bay, Mangrove Lake, Trott's Pond, Crystal Cave, Castle Harbor, The
Causeway, Bermuda Aquarium and Museum and the small settlement of
Paget Parish is located in the central south of the island chain,
immediately south of Hamilton Harbor on the main island. Places
to visit include Hamilton Harbor, Coral Beach, Elbow Beach, and
Grape Bay, as well as Salt Kettle, a peninsula that protects the
approach to Hamilton Harbour, and Hinson's Island. The islands only
hospital, King Edward VII Memorial, is in Paget. Other notable features
of Paget include the Bermuda College and the Bermuda Division of
the British Red Cross.
Pembroke Parish occupies most of the short peninsula that juts from
the central north coast of Bermuda's main island, and surrounds
the city of Hamilton on three sides. Places to visit in Pembroke
include Spanish Point, and Point Shares, as well as numerous small
islands off Point Shares. Other notable features of Pembroke include
Fort Hamilton and Government House.
St. George's Parish
St. George's Parish is located in the northeast part of the island
chain, containing a small part of the main island around Tucker's
Town and the Tucker's Town Peninsula, as well as the island of St.
George, and many smaller islands. St. David's Island and Cooper's
Island contain Bermuda International Airport and was home to the
former Kindley Air Force Base. Places to visit in St. George's include
Castle Harbor, St. George's Harbor, St. David's Head, Tobacco Bay,
Ferry Reach, St. David's Lighthouse, Fort St. Catherine, and the
Bermuda Biological Station for Research.
Sandys Parish is located in the northwest of the island chain, occupying
the three islands of Ireland Island, Boaz Island, and the larger
Somerset Island, as well as a small part of the main island of Bermuda.
Places to visit in Sandys include Ely's Harbor, Cathedral Rocks,
Daniel's Head, Mangrove Bay, Somerset Bridge, which links the mainland
to Somerset Island, and the old Royal Naval Dockyard on Ireland
Smith's Parish is located in the northeast of the main island, at
the southern end of Harrington Sound, the large lagoon close to
the main island's northeastern tip. It is joined to Devonshire Parish
in the southwest and Hamilton Parish in the northeast. Places to
visit in Smith's include Spittal Pond, John Smith's Beach, Devil's
Hole, Gibbet Island, and Spanish Rock.
Southampton Parish is located in the southwest of the island chain,
occupying all of the western part of the main island, except for
the westernmost tip. Places to visit in Southampton include Whale
Bay, Church Bay, Horseshoe Bay, and Riddell's Bay, Whale Bay Fort,
and Gibb's Hill Lighthouse.
Warwick Parish is located in the central south of the island chain,
occupying part of the main island to the southeast of the Great
Sound, the large expanse of water which dominates the geography
of western Bermuda, and also a number of islands which lie within
that sound. Places to visit in Warwick include Warwick Long Bay,
Riddell's Bay, Darrell's Island, Hawkins Island, Long Island, and
Places To Visit in Bermuda
Annie's Bay is a picturesque bay in the northeast of Bermuda. It
occupies much of the east coast of Cooper's Island, in St. George's
Parish. Access to the bay was restricted from 1942 to 1995, while
the surrounding land was part of military bases (originally the
US Army's Fort Bell and then the US Kindley Air Force Base). The
bay is now open to the public and is a popular recreation area.
Boaz Island is one of the six main islands of Bermuda. It is part
of a chain of islands in the west of the country that make up Sandys
Parish. From 1939, Boaz Island was used as a Royal Naval Air Station.
It's primary role was the servicing, repair and replacement of spotter
floatplanes and flying boats belonging to naval vessels.
Castle Island is located in St. George's Parishand lies to the South
of Castle Harbour The 3.5 acre island is situated close to the entrance
to Castle Harbour. Originally called King's Island, it is of historical
significance. The King's Castle stone fortification on the island
- which gives the harbour its name - dates to 1612, and is the oldest
standing English fortification in the New World and oldest stone
building still in existence in Bermuda.
Church Bay is perhaps the most popular snorkeling beach in Bermuda.
It is located in Church Bay Park off of South Road on the main island.
The reef is close to the shore and many colorful fish gather along
it. There is no lifeguard stand, but there is a life-saving device
on the beach in case of emergency. There is a concession stand at
the top of the hill that rents masks and fins and sells drinks and
Gunner Bay is a large bay in the far north of Bermuda. It contains
the entrance to St. George's Harbor and Paget Island, and is overlooked
by St. David's Head in the far north of St. David's Island.
Hawkins Island is a small island within the Great Sound, Bermuda
of Bermuda. It lies in the southeast of the sound, and is in the
north of Warwick Parish. Originally named Elizabeth's or Tatem Island,
it was re-named in 1809. Now privately owned, it was formerly the
property of the Royal Navy, and was a Boer War prisoner of war camp
from 1901 to 1902. It is the most easterly of the group of islands
stretching across the sound from the Salt Kettle peninsula.
Horseshoe Bay is perhaps the most famous beach in Bermuda. A very
popular tourist spot, it lies on the main island's south coast,
in the parish of Southampton. In Bermudian lingo: "going to
the beach" means going to Horseshoe Bay. The beach is equipped
with one lifeguard station that is manned during the summer between
10AM and 6PM.
Ireland Island forms a long finger of land pointing northeastwards
from the main island, the last link in a chain that also includes
Boaz Island and Somerset Island. It lies within Sandys Parish, and
forms the northwestern coast of the Great Sound. It is regarded
as one of the six principal islands of Bermuda.
Nonsuch Island is located in St. George's Parish, in the northeast
of the territory. The island, which covers 14 acres, is situated
at the eastern entrance to Castle Harbour. The island is a wildlife
sanctuary. Wooded and with a small freshwater marsh, access to the
public is strictly limited. The restoration of the once barren island
is now a Living Museum of pre-colonial Bermuda.
Ordnance Island is located within the limits of St. George's town,
Bermuda. It lies close to the shore opposite the town square (King's
Square), in St. George's Harbour. The only island in the town, it
covers just 1.75 acres and was created by reclaiming the land between
several small islands which were once situated here. The island
is now joined to St. George's Island by a small bridge.
Paget Island is located in St. George's Parish at the northern entrance
to St. George's Harbor. Its most prominent feature is Fort Cunningham,
built in the 1820s and of historical importance.
St. David's Island
St. David's Island is located in the far north and is one of the
two similarly sized islands that makeup the majority of St. George's
Parish. The island was enlarged to 650 acres to allow room for a
US military base. Many of its facilities are still used as part
of Bermuda International Airport. Cooper's Island is now attached
to St. David's in the southeast, although the two islands are still
widely regarded as if they were separate entities
St. George's Island
St. George's Island lies in the northeast and is divided between
the town of St. George's and St. George's Parish. The town of St.
George's contains many of the territory's oldest buildings. Notable
among these are St. Peter's Church, and the State House, and many
forts, including Gate's Fort.
St. George's Harbour
St. George's Harbour serves as the port for the town of St. George's
and separates St. George's Island in the north and west from St.
David's Island. Most freight is off loaded at Hamilton, but St.
George's is still used by cruise ships visiting the Old Town, and
it is the only port of entry for yachts.
Smith's Island is located in St. George's Parish close to the northern
entrance to St. George's Harbor. The island is of historical significance,
as it is the site of the first settlement in Bermuda, when Carter,
Chard and Waters built cabins here in 1610, two years before the
first planned colonists arrived in 1612.
Somerset Island comprises about half of the parish of Sandys, and
is the largest of a chain of islands which extend along the northwestern
coast of the Great Sound. The village of Somerset lies in the northern
part of the island and includes Mangrove Bay and Ely's Harbour.
Places to visit on the island include Daniel's Head, the island's
westernmost point, and the historic Fort Scaur.
Tobacco Bay is located in the far north of Bermuda. It lies on the
Atlantic Ocean coast, close to the town of St. George's and to the
historic Fort St. Catherine. One of Bermuda's national parks, it
is a popular public beach. Snorkeling is a popular activity, as
the bay has impressive underwater coral reefs, which explains its
popularity with those who snorkel.
Trunk Island is the largest island in Harrington Sound, Bermuda,
consisting of seven acres. The island has been owned by one family
since the early 1800s and was used as a summer camp for Bermudian
groups such as Sea Scouts and Girl Guides in the 1920s and 1930s.
It remains privately owned by descendants of the first owners. Now
a share of the ownership has been donated to the Bermuda Zoological
Society and supports educational programs at the Bermuda Aquarium,
Museum and Zoo.